I'm sure many people know the feeling: you're sitting at your desk, eyes barely open. You would like to do anything but look at the documents in front of you as you pick up your phone every two seconds to check Facebook.
I couldn't take it - so I went out for a walk. Thankfully it's starting to get nice outside, which makes an afternoon stroll much more pleasant than it has been for the past few months.
The sun was mostly hidden behind thick gray clouds - rain is coming - but I still squinted painfully, the brightness too jarring for my florescent-tolerant pupils. The air was muggy but comfortable. I didn't walk far; just a circle around the lot that was once Cabrini Green, now a humongous Target and a wide field where geese roam even in the icy winter.
As I walked, I noticed a small tree in front of a closeby school was beginning to spout some beautiful flowers:
They remind me of tiger lilies, my favorite flower in the world, and also of the tiny flowers that used to grow from my Bigmama's bushes.
As I continued on my walk and crossed over to the goose field, I greeted this little big guy, who had no problem walking almost right up to me:
We locked eyes, and he gave me a silent "what up though" before he continued noshing on grass. Believe it or not, our feathered friends here are as gangster as the people.
And to think, I work about 5 minutes away from downtown! I guess beauty lies everywhere in the world, as long as you take 15 minutes to walk around and find it.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Agree? Disagree? Just want to say hi? Comment below!