Blech. Tasted like Satan himself was robbing the moisture and taste out of my mouth, replacing it with a swift kick to the jugular. Why?! Why would anyone drink that stuff?!?!
I STILL don't love red wine, per se. But I've learned to appreciate it, to drink it, and even - dare I say - to enjoy it, somewhat. How did I do it?
First, let me say, I lucked out and got a few bottles of free red wine from my friends. So I had very little to lose.
I drank my first leisure glass while I was playing a video game. I was losing, and figured some liquid courage would go a long way in helping me do better. I had kept the bottle in the fridge and added ice to my glass, so it was nice and cold.
I got a snack, buttered cheesy garlic bread. I figured the cheese taste would balance out the wine (since I didn't have any real cheese laying around at the time - we eat cheese like it goes out of style around here).
Here's the real trick though - I read a review of the particular wine I was drinking while I took a sip. Seeing someone else describe the fruity undertones and flavors I should have been looking for helped focus my mind on those aspects, and not on how horribly dry and bitter it was.
The first few sips were just awful, and I didn't want to finish it, but I couldn't waste that wine. So I persisted. And halfway through the glass, I realized it wasn't so strong anymore. In fact, the bitterness that had plagued me previously was almost entirely gone, and I was simply tasting the yummy fruit aspects of it. I started feeling warm and fuzzy, and happy. I liked this.
![]() |
| Don't let the empty bottle fool you. I'm no connoisseur. I've been drinking red wine for all of two weeks. I STILL don't know what a cabernet sauvignon is, but I know I kind of like it. |
You may find yourself in a circumstance where someone offers you a glass of red wine, and you accept it to be polite (has happened to a friend before). You may be at a party where the host has almost all wine. Maybe you're hanging with friends, and they like it, and rather than spend the money to buy a separate bottle, you choose to drink what they're having. Or, you've heard of the health effects of red wine, and you'd like to drink a little of it for that - but absolutely cannot stand the taste.
Find some food to eat with it - cheese is an absolutely fantastic option. Really, there's a reason places like Binny's have a cheese deli in the wine section. The two go together in a way I can't even describe. If you choose, you can also eat sweet food like chocolate, or bland like a dinner roll; the key is to choose something to balance your palette and cut the bite.
Remember as you're drinking to focus on the fruit and flavors of the wine, and not on the bitterness. Believe me, that part goes away, and before you know it you've drank the whole bottle, the room is spinning, and your head is pounding.
Finally, if you don't like it, don't drink it. I figure if you're reading this, you have some need or desire to like red wine, so this probably won't apply. But if you genuinely aren't a fan of it, can't take it, and/or it makes you sick, stop drinking! The idea is that some people can grow to love it, but some won't and that's okay.
What are your experiences with red wine? Let me know!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Agree? Disagree? Just want to say hi? Comment below!