Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Rant Time: Put Up Or Shut Up

I don't want to have to write about this. I would rather be focusing on enjoying my purchase. But I will speak out, since nobody else seems to be doing so. 

Am I the only one getting tired of these horrible console wars? 

I'll put it all out there first, lest you should think I've never participated in any of these. I knew from the moment they said "fantasy football" that I wanted an Xbox. The more they advertised, the more features I knew about, the more I wanted it. When I found out about the new Kinect, it was a done deal. (I LOVED the Kinect for the 360...loved it. Everyone who knows me personally, knows the same. It was a sad day when we got rid of ours)

I have told just about everyone I talk to about this, the same. Because honestly, and let's all be honest here, other than that, there's really no reason to get the Xbox over the PS4. Those are reasons that make the Xbox good for me. But others may not be interested in those things. 

I'm biased, and I know it. Others are biased too, and they have every right to be.

For the most part, I'm okay with that. 

What I'm NOT okay with, is people offering their unsolicited opinions on how useful the technology is, for EITHER console, without ever having used one in real time personal use. No, I don't mean did you play a few minutes of a game in Gamestop. I mean, do you or does someone you know have one? 

If not, where do you get off having an opinion about which one I should have bought? 

This is the internet, where opinions are like assholes, and mine isn't worth any more than the next blogger's. I get that. 

But at what point do the constant arguments over nothing become cancerous? At what point do you not realize, hey, I'm wasting my time arguing when I could be playing? At what point do you realize that you are trying to prove a point to people who have never seen EITHER console, and whose opinions therefore hold no weight whatsoever? 

Let me tell you, the people who actually own consoles have gotten mighty quiet. Kudos to all of you, PS4 or Xbox, kudos. Because you're enjoying what you spent all those hundreds of dollars on, as well you should be. Bravo!

Right now, I'm sitting here blogging. I could be playing Need for Speed or Killer Instinct or Ryse. Or sleeping, since it is a work night. But I'm writing, because this idea infuriates me so that I have to put this out there. 

When future civilizations dig up our electronic records, they are going to see that we spent a year of our lives arguing over what stupid console was better. 

This is the hallmark of American society, ladies and gentlemen. 

Stop it. 

If you have it, enjoy it. Please, review it. Do you like it? Do you not like it? Did you make a good choice? 

If you don't have it, it's time to put up or shut up. Either get a console so you know what you're talking about, or stay out of the conversation when grown ups are talking. 

This whole idea of arguing over something you don't even have is ridiculous. And I'm tired of letting THOSE people be the only voices that anyone ever hears. 

What do you all think? Too much? Was I stupid for even devoting time for this? (that's a rhetorical question, of COURSE I am, I should be sleeping right now. Or playing a game. Or blindly barking commands at my TV. How hypocritical am I right now) 

I hope there's at least one person out there who reads this, though, and nods their head in silent agreement. Indeed, good sir or madam out there. Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree? Disagree? Just want to say hi? Comment below!